About House Estate Dixter Farm Buildings At the time Nathaniel Lloyd took over Great Dixter, the area immediately around the house, including the barns and outbuildings, was a working farmyard. In order to free up space to create a new and imaginative garden, it was necessary to relocate the hub of the farming operation elsewhere. This he did in 1912 by commissioning a new set of farm buildings a short distance down the hill to the north. These comprised a range of well appointed single storey brick buildings to form a cow house, dairy, areas for young stock and feed stores. As part of the Conservation and Education Project, these buildings were converted by the Trust to provide facilities for education and accommodation for students. For information on educational courses at Dixter farm and in the House and garden visit our Learning pages in the About section.