When Lutyens designed the garden, he adapted and incorporated into the layout several cattle sheds and a cart lodge that had formed part of the nineteenth-century farmyard to the rear of the house. 

What is now the Nursery likewise utilises former agricultural buildings (the potting shed is pictured in 1910 to the right). Beyond the Nursery, the shop is based in what was once a pair of cottages dating from the late eighteenth century.

Share this page